sauvage noble

An Austronesian’s Adventures in Altertumswissenschaft and Indogermanistik

03 February 2006

Quinaria

Oh, King Alfred tagged me. Herewith, but keeping my answers as professional as I can:

Remove the blog in the top spot from the following list and bump everyone up one place. Then add your blog to the bottom slot, like so.

  1. Jeni
  2. Anastasia
  3. Haligweorc
  4. King Alfred
  5. sauvage noble

Next select five people to tag.

Hmm ... those who I think to be unopposed to memes on their blogs:

  1. David Romano
  2. House of Hagen
  3. ilani ilani
  4. Tenser, said the Tensor
  5. William Blathers

Should these decide to do this, I think they should give their own answers to the following questions/categories before reading mine.

What were you doing 10 years ago?

In February 1996, I had just started my second semester of senior year in college. I had five grad school applications out (Classical Linguistics at Cornell; Classics at Harvard, Princeton, Brown, and UCLA) and was awaiting responses. Huh, I just looked at my transcript. I was taking five classes: “History of Language” (more of an introduction to linguistics, esp. historical and Indo-European, taught by an alumnus of UCLA Indo-European); “Readings in Homeric Greek” (Il. 1 and 9); “Experience of Slavery” (team-taught by two Classicists, a Near Eastern scholar, and a historian, on slavery in the Mediterranean and the Near East); “Enjoyment of Music” (saved this requirement to the last minute, and the Music professor teased me, since I was active in the campus Classical music scene); “Cicero” (Pro Caelio).

What were you doing 1 year ago?

A year ago this day, I was dissertating. And procrastinating by translating travel phrases into Sabellian and Hittite.

Five snacks you enjoy:

Admittedly, very difficult to answer from the professional point of view:

  1. Keebler Tato Skins (why, oh, why were these discontinued?!)
  2. fancy cheese, e.g. brie, and crackers
  3. Pocky
  4. Delicato Punschrolls from IKEA
  5. pistachio ice cream, e.g. Häagen Dazs

Five songs you know all the words to:

Including ancient “songs”, otherwise difficult as the foregoing:

  1. Catullus, Carmen CI
  2. Horace, Carmen I.11
  3. R. Vaughan Williams, Benedicite (tenor part)
  4. G. Fauré, Requiem (tenor part)
  5. Bola de Nieve, “¡Ay, amor!”

Five things you would do if you were a millionaire:

Not that a million goes a long way anymore, but:

  1. Pay my debts.
  2. Buy a house.
  3. Help with family debts.
  4. Give to my almae matres.
  5. Buy scholarly books.

Five bad habits:

With respect to work:

  1. Procrastinate.
  2. Look everything up.
  3. Look nothing up.
  4. Can be Procrustean.
  5. Can be ad hoc.

Five things you enjoy doing:

Aspects of the profession:

  1. Teaching.
  2. Hearing a good talk.
  3. Giving a good talk.
  4. Gathering data.
  5. Finding ways to visually represent data.

Five things you would never wear again:

I’m a wannabe academic. I don’t have fashion sense, nor did I ever have it. I wouldn’t know where to begin, but I’m sure five is too low a number.

Five favorite toys:

Well, in the form of useful hard and software, mostly for work:

  1. Powerbook
  2. Canon Powershot SD450
  3. OmniGraffle
  4. PopChar
  5. UnicodeChecker

I would add, since there are more than five questions/categories anyway:

Five things you have in common with your tagger:

  1. King Alfred and I were in college 10 years ago.
  2. We both have ice cream as a favorite snack.
  3. We share four out of five of our millionarial acts in common.
  4. We enjoy teaching.
  5. We like digital cameras.

Actually, we have exactly five things in common. Since I answered professionally, I took our sixth commonality, joy of dead language, for granted.

0 comments:

Post a Comment